Claiming Compensation for your items

You can make a claim against any council or housing association landlord if you reported a repair to them and it wasn’t repaired or carried out in a timely manner. You can also claim compensation if you haven’t been able to use your home in the normal way because of repair problems.

You can claim compensation for items of yours that were damaged or destroyed because of your landlord’s failure to carry out repairs.

For example clothing and bedding ruined by mould or furniture damaged by water leaks. You can also claim compensation for your belongings that were damaged or broken by repair work. You can claim the cost of replacing items that were damaged or destroyed. This might only be the second-hand value of the goods, unless it’s not possible or reasonable to buy second-hand replacements.

Claiming Compensation for your health.

You can claim compensation if you or anyone in your household was injured or made ill (or more ill) as a result of the landlord’s failure to carry out repairs. The health problems can be physical or mental. The amount of damages you can claim depends on how ill you were and how long the illness lasted. If you were unable to work you could claim for loss of earnings and for any extra care you needed.

Claiming Compensation for Inconvenience.

You can claim compensation if you’ve suffered inconvenience or have not been able to use your home in the normal way as a result of: • the landlord’s failure to repair your home • significant disruption during the repair work How much compensation you can get depends on the level of disrepair, the rent you pay and the repair problem’s effect on you and your family.

Starting Legal Action

Before starting legal action for housing disrepair compensation you must make sure you have reported the repairs and given your landlord time to complete them. • gathered all the evidence needed to back up your claim.

Your evidence could include: • copies of letters that show you reported the problem to your landlord • photographs showing examples of the disrepair or damaged property • receipts proving you had to replace things damaged or destroyed by the problem. • medical reports explaining how your health has been affected • report from your council’s environmental health department